For those of you who have not yet read ‘Water for Elephants,’ chances are you’re looking at your Twitter cross-eyed and wondering “Stampede? What stampede are they talking about?” In our first script secret, we’ll take a look at the stampede scene by excerpting a little to give you an idea of what’s being filmed this week. We absolutely can’t wait for this scene in the movie.
For the sake of not spoiling it for those who don’t like spoilers (not me, I freakin’ love spoilers!) please do not read past this point if you want to keep your WFE v-card.
So you’re still with me? This means you like to sneak a peek at your Christmas presents before Christmas Day, right? Yay!
Let’s dive in to the stampede!
INT. MENAGERIE TENT – CONTINUOUS – NIGHT
Jacob shoots through the tent flap and is immediately flung
up against the sidewall as:
THE YAK THUNDERS PAST HIM, HIS HORN INCHES FROM JACOB, THE HYENA ON HIS BACK.
Jacob looks to the menagerie and faces;
A FULL FLEDGED STAMPEDE:
– ALL THE ANIMAL DENS ARE OPEN.
– CREATURES OF EVERY SORT…CHIMP, ORANGUTAN, LLAMAS, ZEBRA, LION, GIRAFFE, CAMEL AND HORSES… RUN IN A MAD TERROR AS THEY SCREECH, SCREAM, SWING, WHINY AND ROAR…
– MONKEYS ARE SWINGING ON ROPES, SLITHERING UP POLES
– THE CENTER CONCESSION STAND IS CRUSHED UNDER FOOT.
– A TOWERING POLAR BEAR SLASHES WITH HIS SKILLET-SIZED PAWS, MAKING CONTACT WITH THE LLAMA, KNOCKING IT FLAT.
– THE ORANGUTAN RUNS THROUGH THE STAMPEDE DIRECTLY TO JACOB AND CLUTCHES ONTO JACOB’S LEG. JACOB MOVES TO PICK HER UP WHEN BOBO SWINGS FROM A ROPE AND JUMPS ONTO JACOB’S BACK.
– THE PANTHER MAKES IT’S WAY THROUGH THE CONNECTED WALKWAY TO THE BIG TOP AUDIENCE.
– SECONDS LATER, AUDIENCE SCREAMS OF TERROR ARE HEARD. THE CROWD EXPLODES THROUGH THE BIG TOP, TRAMPLING OVER FELLOW AUDIENCE MEMBERS…THEY CHARGE INTO THE MENAGERIE ONLY TO FACE THE STAMPEDE..
– THE MASS OF ANIMALS CHANGE DIRECTIONS AND THERE IS AN INTERSPECIES FLOCK; LIONS, LLAMAS AND ZEBRAS RUNNING SIDE BY SIDE WITH THE CHIMPS AND ORANGUTANS..A HYENA SHOULDER TO SHOULDER WITH A TIGER…TWELVE HORSES AND A GIRAFFE WITH A SPIDER MONKEY ON IT’S NECK…THE POLAR BEAR NOW ON ALL FOURS, CHARGING…ALL OF THEM HEADING FOR THE CROWD OF PEOPLE…
– THE CROWD SHIFTS, RIOTING BACK INTO THE BIG TOP. CLOGGING THE ENTRANCE…PEOPLE BANGING ON THE BACKS OF THOSE IN FRONT OF THEM..
– THE CLOG BURSTS. PEOPLE AND ANIMALS FLEE IN EVERY DIRECTION…
– A BENGAL TIGER FORCES ITSELF BETWEEN A WOMAN’S LEGS, SWEEPING HER TO THE GROUND…
I tried to find a photo to do this scene justice, but there’s really nothing out there. But just IMAGINE being at a modern day circus with your family and the entire cast of animals going APE and running loose! Can you visualize the insanity?!
Back to business. I’m ad-libbing here, but this is the stuff. Now, just after the bengal tiger gets loose, August throws a bull hook and it pierces Jacob’s shoulder. Rosie trumpets “OH HELL TO THE NAW” and starts stomping around ready to defend her bestie. Marlena uses Rosie as a shield. August uses the bull hook to actually pull Jacob toward him (holy crap, we are going to see Rob acting in some serious pain!) and they rumble and tumble, taking turns whooping on each other. Marlena watches on helpless. Rosie is having none of it and girlfriend pulls her stake up out of the ground and marches over to August. This is when we, the readers and viewers, taste SWEET REVENGE and Rosie takes the stake and slams it down on August’s head, splitting it open like a watermelon. #TEAMROSIE That’s my GIRL right there!
So how excited are you for this scene?
Source: WATER FOR ELEPHANTS BY RICHARD LAGRAVENESE BASED ON THE NOVEL BY SARA GRUEN SECOND DRAFT REVISED APRIL 16, 2009.
Via: A big thanks to ScriptShadow, he originally posted the script with his review, it’s since been taken down.